UCI’s Division of Student Affairs hosted its inaugural conference The Present & Future of UCI Student Affairs on March 5, 2019 in UCI Student Center. Chancellor Howard Gillman addressed the crowd of more than 200 Student Affairs professionals from across the campus. The conference featured internal and external presenters, and participants were able to choose from 16 workshops under four broad themes:
- Best Practices for Student Success
- Student Populations
- Wellness & Self-Care
- Professional Development for Administrative Professionals
The event was a huge success! Event evaluations reflected the staff enthusiasm and satisfaction. Here are some of the comments:
- “Great communication, structure and overall great program planning. Loved the conference pins! Loved the diverse staff presentations and the commitment from leadership.”
- “[An] opportunity to connect with others and learn from our leaders. Thank you for creating an inclusive and dynamic learning environment!”
- “I learned about some books I would like to read. I also learned about another program I can connect with to improve the needs of our International students"
- “Valuable information on Latinx students and the challenges and opportunities of being a Minority Serving Institution (MSI)”
All the suggestions received on speakers, presentations, subject matters, timing and more are very much appreciated, and we will be mindful of every comment gathered for the next conference planning. We are grateful to all our presenters for providing their presentation materials and allowing the campus to benefit from their work.
Sumita Furlong, Ph.D.
Special Assistant to the Vice Chancellor, Student Affairs
Strategic Partnerships, Cultural Affairs, Organizational Relationships
View SA Conference highlights video & photo album by clicking images below.